Friday, January 17, 2014

WINE AND LITERATURE: A TALK AND TASTING






























This has been a suuuuuuper slow first week that I think I slept at least 60% of, but last night we got a chance to celebrate our triumphant return with a wine tasting in Topsham. I don't mean to brag, but I'm a preeeetty heavy connoisseur of wines less than seven dollars, so it was nice to eat meat and cheese and pizza while checking out how the other half lives. If you want my hastily scribbled notes based on a complete ignorance of fine wine, keep reading.



Cascina Fontana 'Dorato' 2012
Appearance: Light and carobnated
Nose: Sweet grape
Taste: Very, very, very sweet, like dessert, I want it forever.
Overall Judgement: YEP.

Pebbled rose 2012
Appearance: Creamy, dusty rose.
Nose: Lightly tart
Taste: Sour with a sweet aftertaste
Overall Judgement: This box just has an olive oil stain in it so I couldn't fill it in, but I LIKED IT.

Etna Rosso Fondo Filara 2010
Appearance: Dark and thin
Nose: Sharp but sweet? [sic]
Taste: Surprisingly mild
Overall Judgement: Just a check mark, but this is important, because I don't normally like red wine.

The Wine Society's Exhibition Viejo Oloroso
Appearance: Brown and earthy
Nose: Rum-like, spicy and nutty
Taste: Spicy and husky
Overall Judgement: NOPE. Nononoonononoooono.


 Champagne Marguet Blanc de Noirs Brut n/v
Appearance: Pale and bubbling
Nose: Sweet grape, a lot like the Cascina Fontana
Taste: Sweet, sparkling, and faintly nutty
Overall Judgement: Yesssssssssss.


























Royal Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos 2008
Appearance: Bright golden yellow
Nose: Warm and buttery.
Taste: Flowery and syrupy
Overall Judgement: Eh. This sounds like something I would really like, but I think I was wined out at this point.

I'll end this post with a quote from one of our hosts: "All you need in life is good food, good wine, and good love."
2 real.

No comments:

Post a Comment